Job Reference #: 2016-1819
Hours Per Day: 5.00
Position Type: Continuing
Salary: $19.77 - $20.98
Closing Date: Open Until Filled - To be considered for this position, please submit a
completed online application and upload required documents on or before
Additional Information: Two positions available with routes to be determined.
JOB TITLE: BUS DRIVER
GROUP: Teamsters II - Bus Driver LEVEL: Appendix B
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
WORK DAYS PER FISCAL YEAR: 181 HOLIDAYS: 11 or 12 dependent on school start date
SUMMARY: The purpose of this position is to support the educational goals of the community by safely
transporting students inside and outside the Highline School District boundaries.
CONTEXT AND MISSION: Highline Public Schools serves approximately 19,000 students in the communities of
Burien, Des Moines, Normandy Park, SeaTac, Boulevard Park and White Center Heights in Washington State.
Starting in the fall of 2012, the Highline community came together to develop a four-year strategic plan outlining
the community’s bold goals and big dreams for its children. The plan’s promise is that every student in Highline
Public Schools is known by name, strength, and need, and graduates prepared for college, career, and citizenship.
The collective commitment embodied in the plan is grounded in the community’s deep belief that Highline
students are capable of reaching the plan’s ambitious goals and is driven by students’ aspirations for their future.
The instructional vision articulated in the plan is organized around Four Pillars that guide professional and
- Equitable access to rigorous, standards-based instruction. High-quality instruction for all students.
- Results-focused professional learning and collaboration. Investing in our people so they continuously fine-
tune their craft and grow in their profession.
- Strong partnerships with families and community. Schools can’t do it alone. We are better when students,
families, community and educators work hand-in-hand.
- A culturally responsive organization. Our diversity is a strength and an asset. We are committed to equity,
excellent service for all, and continuous improvement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. This list is meant to be representative, not
exhaustive. Some incumbents may not perform all the duties listed while in other cases related duties may also
be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- Transport students between pickup points and schools according to time schedules and routes as
planned by the District. If a lift bus, operate wheelchair lift and assist students loading and unloading
from the bus.
- Maintain order during trips and adhere to safety rules when loading and unloading students. Be able to
assist students off the bus in an emergency situation or accident.
- Comply with state laws and local regulations pertaining to operation of school buses.
- Maintain surveillance and work with the bus monitors and assist them in the performance of their duties
- Exercise responsible leadership at all times. Promote good public relations with parents, staff and public
in a multicultural and multiracial community.
- Keep records as required.
- Safely drive a school bus in all kinds of adverse weather conditions.
- Keep assigned bus clean (interior and exterior).
- Install and remove chains in snow conditions.
JOB DESCRIPTION: BUS DRIVER
- Report to proper authorities: accidents, student misconduct, troubles with bus, traffic hazards along
route and parent complaints.
- Pick up and discharge students only at authorized stops.
- Take direction and instruction regarding safe driving procedures from the Driver Trainer Coordinator as
required to fulfill functions and responsibilities.
- Attend meetings and training sessions which the District determines are necessary to fulfill position
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Transportation Supervisor for the purpose of ensuring
the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School diploma
All certificates, licenses, endorsements and permits as required for this position by state and local authorities
School Bus Driver Certificate plus CDL, Class B with P1 and S endorsements
Valid CPR certification
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT:
Pass a post hire, pre-employment physical assessment test
Criminal background clearance
A complete five-year school bus driver abstract, displaying an excellent driving record
Valid First Aid certification
State laws and local regulations pertaining to operation of school buses
School board policies and procedures
Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
Maintain effective working relationships with other people
Read and interpret road and street maps
Familiar with vehicle maintenance concepts
Follow and uphold safety standards, laws, codes, rules, regulations, policies and procedures relating to pupil
Perform the duties satisfactorily and to accept the responsibilities listed under the heading "Performance Duties
Take direction and instruction from the Driver Trainer Coordinator
Comply with school board policies and follow administrative procedures
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Director of Transportation
EVALUATION: This position will be evaluated by the Transportation Supervisor or designee based on
performance of duties and responsibilities.
JOB DESCRIPTION: BUS DRIVER
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made
to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit for long periods. The
employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; squat/kneel;
reach; climb stairs; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and/or walk. The employee
must frequently lift/carry up to maximum of 5 pounds. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to
28 pounds. This position requires the employee to push a maximum force of 60 pounds and pull a maximum
force of 100 pounds. Anything over the weight limits should be done as a two-person lift or with a mechanical
lift. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, ability to adjust focus, night vision, and
peripheral vision. The employee must be able to fit through the emergency exit door located in the roof of the
bus. The circumference of this exit is 83".
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an
employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outdoor conditions, inclement weather,
and regularly around diesel and gas fumes. Some work requires the use of video display. The noise level in the
work environment is often loud/noisy. The employee is expected to properly use personal protection equipment
when provided by the District.
Transferred to newest format by Human Resources, 2013.02.03
Updated by Human Resources to add district introduction, 2013.10.17
Revised by Human Resources, 2009/03
Updated format by Human Resources, 2013/01
Job descriptions are written as a representative list of the ADA essential duties performed by the entire classification. They cannot include, and are not
intended to include, every possible activity and task performed by every specific employee.
To apply, please click the link below. Another window will open and allow you to apply directly online.Apply Online