Hours Per Day: 0.00
Position Type: Substitute
Salary: $11.49 - $17.32
Closing Date: Open Until Filled - To be considered for this position, please submit a
completed online application and upload required documents on or before
Additional Information: Hourly rate increases to $17.32/hr after 30 work days.
JOB TITLE: GUEST CUSTODIAN
WORK DAYS PER FISCAL YEAR: Varies as needed (On-call/as needed position)
SUMMARY: The job of guest custodian performs custodial duties in the facility assigned to ensure a safe, clean
learning environment for the students in the Highline School District.
CONTEXT AND MISSION: Highline Public Schools serves approximately 19,000 students in the communities of
Burien, Des Moines, Normandy Park, SeaTac, Boulevard Park and White Center Heights in Washington State.
Starting in the fall of 2012, the Highline community came together to develop a four-year strategic plan outlining
the community’s bold goals and big dreams for its children. The plan’s promise is that every student in Highline
Public Schools is known by name, strength, and need, and graduates prepared for college, career, and citizenship.
The collective commitment embodied in the plan is grounded in the community’s deep belief that Highline
students are capable of reaching the plan’s ambitious goals and is driven by students’ aspirations for their future.
The instructional vision articulated in the plan is organized around Four Pillars that guide professional and
- Equitable access to rigorous, standards-based instruction. High-quality instruction for all students.
- Results-focused professional learning and collaboration. Investing in our people so they continuously fine-tune
their craft and grow in their profession.
- Strong partnerships with families and community. Schools can’t do it alone. We are better when students,
families, community and educators work hand-in-hand.
- A culturally responsive organization. Our diversity is a strength and an asset. We are committed to equity,
excellent service for all, and continuous improvement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. This list is meant to be representative, not
exhaustive. Some incumbents may not perform all the duties listed while in other cases related duties may also
be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- Maintain filters, belts, motors and other operating equipment for the building
- Maintain housekeeping equipment in a clean, good condition
- Lock inside and outside doors, set alarms
- Assist teachers and other staff with reasonable requests
- Coordinate custodial assignments necessary to facilitate building use.
- Perform minor maintenance repairs
- Maintain outside sidewalks and ground area to be clean and presentable
- Clean classrooms, hallways, lobbies, lounges, restrooms, corridors, elevators, stairways, locker rooms, and
- Sweep, scrub, wax and polish floors using brooms, mops, powered scrubbing and waxing machines.
- Clean rugs, carpets, upholstered furniture and draperies using vacuum cleaner.
- Dust furniture and equipment
- Clean school kitchen
- Wash walls, ceiling, and woodwork
- Wash windows, door panels, and sills
JOB DESCRIPTION: GUEST CUSTODIAN
- Empty wastebaskets
- Transports trash and waste to disposal area
- Replenish bathroom supplies
- Replace light bulbs
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning
of the work unit and supporting student learning objectives.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or GED equivalent
Completion of a 16 hour custodial in-service training or equivalent on-the-job training
Completion of Right-to-Know training
First Aid and CPR certificate
Valid Washington State driver’s license and proof of insurance
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT:
Pass a post hire, pre-employment physical assessment test
Criminal background clearance
Good housekeeping practices
Operation of cleaning equipment
Operation of routine yard equipment
Material Safety Data Sheets
Modern HVAC systems and controls
Use of computers and related software
School board policies and procedures
Work independently with minimal supervision
Use equipment in a manner consistent with district training
Follow procedures specific to each location assigned
Complete 90% of the cleaning areas rated on the Building and Site Inspection report.
Read and write instructions and do basic math. (Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division)
Complete Operation's custodial training program and Right to Know training
Receive, understand and react accurately to verbal instructions
Cooperate and work with the staff and public.
Present a neat and clean appearance
Work in a confined space
Comply with school board policies and follow administrative procedures
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Reports to Principal, Supervisor of Facilities, Operations Foreman, Lead Custodian,
Assistant Lead Custodian
JOB DESCRIPTION: GUEST CUSTODIAN
EVALUATION: This position will be evaluated by the Principal or designee based on performance of duties and
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made
to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, bend neck, hear, see,
handle, grasp, and reach objects. The employee frequently is required to lift and carry 15 lbs. The employee is
occasionally required to lift and carry 53 lbs. The employee must be able to push a maximum force of 42 lbs and
pull a maximum of 73 lbs. The employee frequently is required to bend/twist at waist, crouching/kneel, stoop,
fine finger manipulation, and talk. The employee is occasionally required to climbing stairs and ladders, working
at heights, balancing. Anything over the weight limits should be done as a two-person lift or with a mechanical
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an
employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and occasionally works
outdoors, in inclement weather, and near video display. The noise level in the work environment is usually
moderate. The employee is expected to properly wear personal protection equipment when provided by the
Created by Human Resources, 2014.01.13
Job descriptions are written as a representative list of the ADA essential duties performed by the entire classification. They cannot include, and are not
intended to include, every possible activity and task performed by every specific employee.