ERAC-Instruction & Innovation
Hours Per Day: 0.00
Position Type: Temporary
Salary: $12.12 - $12.12
Closing Date: Open Until Filled - To be considered for this position, please submit a
completed online application and upload required documents on or before
JOB TITLE: SECONDARY TUTOR
WORK DAYS PER FISCAL YEAR: Varies - Temporary position.
SUMMARY: Tutors serve as mentors and role models for middle and high school students and are part of the
overall support system for Highline students. Tutors support academic and social growth and share their
enthusiasm for learning and for college preparedness. Tutors guide students in group tutorial sessions where
students are led through a range of thinking processes and discussion as they reflect on their academic questions.
Tutors possess personal attributes of integrity, respect for others, and team collaboration skills. Tutors work
closely under their supervising teacher to meet the needs of the students in the classroom and receive training in
the AVID tutoring methodology.
CONTEXT AND MISSION: Highline Public Schools serves approximately 19,000 students in the communities of
Burien, Des Moines, Normandy Park, SeaTac, Boulevard Park and White Center Heights in Washington State.
Starting in the fall of 2012, the Highline community came together to develop a four-year strategic plan outlining
the community’s bold goals and big dreams for its children. The plan’s promise is that every student in Highline
Public Schools is known by name, strength, and need, and graduates prepared for college, career, and citizenship.
The collective commitment embodied in the plan is grounded in the community’s deep belief that Highline
students are capable of reaching the plan’s ambitious goals and is driven by students’ aspirations for their future.
The instructional vision articulated in the plan is organized around Four Pillars that guide professional and
- Equitable access to rigorous, standards-based instruction. High-quality instruction for all students.
- Results-focused professional learning and collaboration. Investing in our people so they continuously fine-
tune their craft and grow in their profession.
- Strong partnerships with families and community. Schools can’t do it alone. We are better when students,
families, community and educators work hand-in-hand.
- A culturally responsive organization. Our diversity is a strength and an asset. We are committed to equity,
excellent service for all, and continuous improvement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. This list is meant to be representative, not
exhaustive. Some incumbents may not perform all the duties listed while in other cases related duties may also
be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- Become familiar with and utilize the student-led AVID tutorial method, serve as a facilitator of the tutorial
- Become familiar with AVID strategies, student textbooks, and materials used by tutorial students.
- Conduct tutorial sessions in all areas of mathematics and conduct mini-lessons in the process of writing
in all subject areas, study skills, and other aspects of college preparation.
- Work with students in any phase of the writing process, such as brainstorming, clustering, revision and
- Determine from student notes and discussions, the concepts that need to be taught or re-taught.
- Evaluate student binders, including calendars, class and textbook notes, etc.
- Set an example of personal excellence and high expectations for AVID students to follow.
JOB DESCRIPTION: SECONDARY TUTOR
- Communicate frequently and honestly with the AVID coordinator/teacher, success dean, and/or tutor
coordinator regarding student progress and areas of concern.
- Attend college and career visits as needed and facilitate student engagement.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective
functioning of the work unit and supporting student learning objectives.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High school graduate
Strong math and English language background, evidenced by high school or college transcript
Experience working in educational settings, preferably with middle or high school students
Demonstrated experience working with first-generation, college-bound students and families from diverse
socioeconomic, racial, and ethnic backgrounds
Current/ recent college student with a minimum 2.5 GPA
Associates Degree or Bachelor’s Degree
Degree or coursework in the Social Sciences, Business, Education or related field
Knowledge of college entrance requirements
Customer service and networking experience
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT:
Criminal background clearance
Valid driver’s license and proof of insurance
Facilitate small student groups
Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
Maintain effective working relationships with individuals and groups in a multicultural and diverse community
Remain flexible to changes in assignments or situations
Organize activities, set priorities, and follow instructions
Comply with school board policies and follow administrative procedures
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: AVID Site Coordinator or school designee
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made
to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and walk. The employee
frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The
employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
JOB DESCRIPTION: SECONDARY TUTOR
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an
employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and regularly works
near video display. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Updated by Human Resources as outlined by Student Advancement, August 5, 2015
Updated by Human Resources, August 21, 2013
Created by Human Resources, June 2, 2010
Job descriptions are written as a representative list of the ADA essential duties performed by the entire classification. They cannot include, and are not
intended to include, every possible activity and task performed by every specific employee.