RN School Nurse
RN School Nurse
ERAC-Health & Wellness
Hours Per Day: 7.00
Position Type: Continuing
Salary: $45,518.00 - $88,792.00
Closing Date: Open Until Filled - To be considered for this position, please submit a
completed online application and upload required documents on or before
Additional Information: Multiple positions available- Strong mentor program, family friendly schedule,
summers & holidays off, professional development, opportunities for summer
JOB TITLE: SCHOOL NURSE
WORK DAYS PER FISCAL YEAR: 180
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
SUMMARY: : The position of school nurse is to assist each student to achieve his/her maximum learning potential
through maintaining optimum physical, mental, social and environmental health.
CONTEXT AND MISSION: Highline Public Schools serves approximately 19,000 students in the communities of
Burien, Des Moines, Normandy Park, SeaTac, Boulevard Park and White Center Heights in Washington State.
Starting in the fall of 2012, the Highline community came together to develop a four-year strategic plan outlining
the community’s bold goals and big dreams for its children. The plan’s promise is that every student in Highline
Public Schools is known by name, strength, and need, and graduates prepared for college, career, and citizenship.
The collective commitment embodied in the plan is grounded in the community’s deep belief that Highline
students are capable of reaching the plan’s ambitious goals and is driven by students’ aspirations for their future.
The instructional vision articulated in the plan is organized around Four Pillars that guide professional and
- Equitable access to rigorous, standards-based instruction. High-quality instruction for all students.
- Results-focused professional learning and collaboration. Investing in our people so they continuously fine-
tune their craft and grow in their profession.
- Strong partnerships with families and community. Schools can’t do it alone. We are better when students,
families, community and educators work hand-in-hand.
- A culturally responsive organization. Our diversity is a strength and an asset. We are committed to equity,
excellent service for all, and continuous improvement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. This list is meant to be representative, not
exhaustive. Some incumbents may not perform all the duties listed while in other cases related duties may also
be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- Identifies student health problems and needs and shares necessary information and its implication with staff;
- Maintains a health record for all students, recording screening results on individual student cards;
- Assumes the responsibility for screening procedures, such as hearing, vision, and scoliosis;
- Reviews and follows up on all student immunization compliance as required by state regulations;
- Performs special education health assessments and participates in staffing and I.E.P. planning;
- Recommends appropriate medical supplies for the schools;
- Assists the school in providing care for injured or ill students at school;
- Performs other health-related duties as requested by the principal as time permits.
- Provides resources for health and medical concerns for students and staff;
- Provide classroom presentations of health issues as requested by staff or as needed and time permits;
- Plans and coordinates health care management for students with special health care needs;
- Provides staff in-service in areas of identified need, i.e., C.P.R., seizure care, control of communicable
diseases as time permits;
JOB DESCRIPTION: SCHOOL NURSE
- Assists in evaluating learning resource material and curricula in the area of health.
- Consults with student, parents, teachers and other staff to obtain appropriate medical care for students;
- Assists parents and school personnel to understand and accept children with special needs;
- Works with students individually or in groups in areas such as; substance abuse, self-esteem, acute and
chronic disease, sexual abuse prevention and treatment
- Consults, advises and may refer staff in the areas of health monitoring and counseling.
- Respects individual children and their needs and maintains student rapport;
- Deals in a professional manner with personal and health information;
- Maintains professional relationships with staff, parents and students;
- Liaison between school, family and community health services.
- Is responsible for personal and professional growth
- Demonstrates an awareness of one's own strengths and limitations to improve or enhance competence
- Is punctual and reliable
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective
functioning of the work unit and supporting student learning objectives.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
WA State ESA School Nurse Certificate
Current Washington State RN License
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT:
Criminal background clearance
Washington State Driver’s license and proof of insurance
First Aid/CPR certification and maintain valid certification
Pass a post hire, pre-employment physical assessment
Effective role modeling and high skill level in the healthcare field
Evaluating and implementing best practices in a health services organization
Interpreting and ensuring compliance with state, federal and district guidelines.
Contributing to the health services team in a positive, proactive manner
School board policies and procedures
Communicate effectively and clearly both verbally and in writing at all levels
Read and comprehend complex manuals, reports, communications and other documents
Operate a variety of general office equipment including a microcomputer and related software
Maintain effective working relationships with individuals and groups in a multicultural and diverse community
Remain flexible to changes in assignments or situations
Organize activities, set priorities, and follow instructions
Work cooperatively with staff, students and parents in a school environment
Make sound decisions and resolve staff conflicts tactfully and diplomatically
JOB DESCRIPTION: SCHOOL NURSE
Attend to detail and follow tasks through to completion
Work under pressure at various locations throughout the district
Work independently and with minimal supervision
Maintain strict confidentiality
Establish and maintain medical records and filing systems and to prepare reports in a timely manner
Comply with school board policies and follow administrative procedures
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Director of Health and Social Services
EVALUATION: This position will be evaluated by the Director of Health and Social Services or designee based on
performance of duties and responsibilities.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made
to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly required to bend neck and back. The
employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands for repetitive grasping and for pushing and pulling.
The employee is frequently required to climb stairs, reach overhead, knee stand and push and pull. The
employee is occasionally required to use hands for fine manipulation, squat, kneel, lift overhead, crawl, and lift
and carry. The employee must constantly lift and/or carry up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or carry up to 39
pounds and occasionally lift and/or carry a maximum of 50 pounds. The employee is required to push and pull a
maximum force of 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an
employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and regularly works
near video display. Floor surfaces are varied. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The
employee must deal with angry and upset students, parents, and community members. The employee must
adjust to frequent interruptions in their work schedule. May occasionally be exposed to outdoor weather
conditions. May occasionally be required to accompany children on field trips.
Revised by Human Resources to add WorkSteps and update Physical Demands and Work Environment, 2015.07.01
Transferred to new format by Human Resources, 2014.05.16
Revised by Human Resources, 10/11
Revised by the Personnel Department 2/92
Job descriptions are written as a representative list of the ADA essential duties performed by the entire classification. They cannot include, and are not
intended to include, every possible activity and task performed by every specific employee.